Thursday, December 20, 2007

Kiva - Internet Grameen Bank?

Kiva.org brings micro-lending as envision by Grameen to cyberspace. I found this site quite accidentally and has been surfing around for sometime reading about stories of the lenders. It is basically an interest-free loan to the people, and once repayed can be recycled back to your pool for lending again. Best of all, Kiva is using Paypal... safe and easy to transfer the funds.

I remember from my previous post of on Yunus's ingenius social innovation of Grameen bank a that the recovery rate is extremely high at 98.61%. I sure hope that Kiva can helped further this cause of fighting poverty.

Interestingly, I noticed from reading some of the defaulted payments from Kiva were actually from male lenders. Immediately, I compared the lending by Grameen were primarily to women. I also see the 16 decisions key to what Grameen is doing. But mainly because historically or evolutionary wise, but best guess is that women tend to be the focal point of the family and community which makes microcredit far more successful with them.

In any case, I like to see how this goes and maybe join. This is a form self-help rather than direct contributions to the people.

No comments: